Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hello Fall

Fall, oh how do I love thee.  Let me count the ways.  Fall is and probably always will be my favorite time of the year.  There is just something about these overcast skies and gentle cool breezes that just make me want to melt into my big comfy robe and curl up with a hot mug of coffee (or Teeccino since I can't do the caffeine right now).  I love that we've turned the AC off and have all the windows open from now until it gets too cold to stand it, which hopefully won't be until November!

Growing up, fall meant the beginning of a new school year, marching band, bonfires, and apple butter.  Things I looked forward to all year long.  I loved school, maybe too much.  My sisters teased me for doing homework on a Friday night, although I'm pretty sure that only happened in the beginning of the school year when I was bound and determined to be the perfect student.  That enthusiasm did wear off a few months into the school year though.  I loved competition too.  Marching band contests all day every Saturday.  Surviving on ham sandwiches and Mountain Dew.  Bonfires on Friday nights if there wasn't a home football game.  We were a big family, and for as much time as you spend away from home at practices and contests it had to be!  Luckily for me though, my actual family was a part of my marching band family as well.

What else was there?  Oh yes, my grandma's apple butter!  Wow. My cousin and his wife made some for everyone in the family last Christmas and oh what a treat it was!  I need to get the recipe and try making this for myself sometime.  Maybe it can become a Fall tradition that I pass along to my children.  I love family traditions possibly more than I love apple butter!  I can't wait to take the kids to an orchard this fall.  I think that will be added to the family tradition checklist as well!

I am ecstatic that fall is finally here.  I wore my Danskos and Smart Wool socks for the first time this season yesterday.  A huge thank you to my sister for making sure my feet stay comfortable!  I cleaned out our coat closet to make sure there would be room to hang up fall jackets, both ours and our guests.  Now I just need to work on some of these still packed boxes and find all of our fall clothes.  I'm sure one day, maybe in a couple years, we'll have everything unpacked and be ready for that housewarming party!

Now I'm off to go prepare some hamburgers for the grill.  This may be the best part of fall.  It's not too cold to grill out, and it's not so hot that you don't even want to open the door to go outside!  I hope everyone is enjoying this time of year as much as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment