Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Edible Cigarettes and Ashtrays - Creepy Halloween Food


Last year around Halloween, my husband's work had a creepy food contest.  Here was our entry and also the winner!!

He had read about a large version of this using a giant ashtray, but since we were making this for a work party we wanted something that was in individual servings that people could pick up and take with them.  These aluminum ash trays were found at our local party supply store and really help sell the whole used ashtray look!

I wish I had more pictures to share with you here, but we did do this a year ago and I wasn't thinking about the blog at the time.  Don't worry, the recipe is pretty simple!

Edible Cigarettes and Ashtrays

Ingredients:
  • Oreos
  • powdered sugar
  • pretzel rods
  • white chocolate chips
  • caramel, butterscotch, or peanut butter chips
  • small ashtrays - (Not actually edible!)

Note:  I'm not listing amounts here because you can really make as little or as much as you want.  I did use an entire package of Oreos, and it also took an entire bag of white chocolate chips, but you many want more or less cigarrettes.  We still had quite a few pretzels leftover and also quite a bit of the caramel.  I made two large party trays full of these individual ashtrays.

Directions:

For the "ash" you only need two ingredients.  Oreos and powdered sugar.  I used a whole package of regular Oreos (minus one or two for snacking).  Put them in a food processor and pulse until they are very fine.  Spoon the Oreo "ash" into the individual ash trays.  Sprinkle each ashtray with the powdered sugar and gently swirl it around to get the ashy look.  Some parts will be darker and some will be lighter.  It makes it look authentic!

Found our initial hiding in the bag of pretzel rods.  
I searched everywhere I could for candy cigarettes, but I couldn't find any locally and we didn't have time to wait on them to ship from somewhere.  I get why candy cigarettes aren't common anymore.  I don't condone smoking, and I don't think kids should be tricked into thinking it's cool with a candy either.  But it would have made this treat a lot quicker if I could have found them!  Anyway, I decided my only option was to make my own.  

I love chocolate covered pretzels, so I decided to make my edible cigarettes from pretzel rods.  I broke them into different size pieces (sometimes people just have to put that cigarette out before they can finish it).  I did the white chocolate end first.  Follow the directions on your bag for how to melt the white chocolate and then dip the pretzel rod almost all the way into it.  I laid them out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper to set.  


Once the white chocolate had cooled and is no longer sticky, you can move on to the "butt" end of the cigarette.  I used Kraft caramel bits, but I think butterscotch or peanut butter chips would also work, anything yummy that also gives it that brown color.  Again follow the directions on the bag for how to melt it, dip just the remaining end of the pretzel rod in and let it cool.  

When it's set (I'd say no longer sticky, but the caramel stays sticky no matter what), place the cigarettes into the ash in the individual trays.  I put two or three into each one.  Don't these just make you go "yum"?!

Have a favorite creepy Halloween food?  Share it in the comments!


1 comment:

  1. Edible ashtrays, creepy Halloween food! Make these individual ashtrays and candy cigarettes for a Halloween party! Cigarettes Ashtrays for Sale

    ReplyDelete